If you can install just one and only one add-on to your Firefox browser, let it be Adblock Plus.
The internet is a wonderful place, but it can be better. Internet as an advertisement medium has been growing bigger and bigger every single year. More and more companies, organisations, and websites are putting ads all over the internet. Almost everywhere you go, you’ll see those banners floating around the contents you want. Sometimes they’re benign, just a little text links pointing to websites or services that are relevant to the content you’re viewing. At other times, they’re just downright annoying, offering you prizes you could never win, or explicit images that are sure to draw unwanted attention from your friends and families passing behind you. Even worse, there are times when the only thing separating your wonderful computer from streams of obtrusive and abusive pop-ups and, the most dreaded of all, viruses and worms and spywares and what-nots, is just a single click to that fancy colourful banner image.
So yeah, there’s no doubt to that: the internet is infested with ads. They annoy us, they slow down page load, and they can trick us or appeal to that side of us we’re not so proud of.
Which is why you should never miss out from installing the Adblock Plus add-on for Firefox. It blocks almost all ads from every page you view, not just hiding them from your view, but completely blocks Firefox from even loading the ads. The result? A faster-loading, cleaner webpages everytime.
How to install Adblock Plus add-on:
- Make sure you’re using Firefox (duh).
- Go to Adblock Plus add-on page.
- Click on the green “Add to Firefox” button.
- It’s likely that a yellow bar will pop-up on top of the page, saying that “Firefox prevented this site…”. Click Allow at the top-right of the page.
- An add-on installation window will pop-up. Wait a few seconds and click Install Now. Firefox will then download and install the add-on. When finish, close and re-open Firefox (or just click Restart Firefox).
- When Firefox restarted, you’ll likely be presented with two pop-up windows:
- Firefox add-on window notifying you that a new add-on has been installed. Just close this.
- Adblock Plus filter subscription window. Just choose EasyList (USA) and click Subscribe.
- Kiss those ads goodbye.
Note that the add-on may cause some problem with Yahoo! Mail or other websites that won’t show their content without showing ads (nasty, I know). If that happens, just disable the add-on for that particular page or website, by right-clicking on the red Adblock Plus icon at the bottom-right corner of your browser window and click “Disable on…”.